I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine Preparations...

Little Nico has no idea that Valentine’s Day is in two short days. So he got a quick bath (well, it was supposed to be a quick bath but he pooped in the tub, then pooped on the floor while I was cleaning out the tub, then pooped again in the tub when he got back in – this is fairly typical for Nico so we call him our little crapper!) and then it was off to bed for baby so the rest of us could initiate our last minute Valentine preparations ensuring this special day would be superb.

Hope spent the evening preparing her Valentine cards for her friends and teachers at school. She has some fabulous Bratz Valentines, which are totally irresistible but completely inappropriate for 4 year old girls, as each Brat comes decked out in heavy makeup with a curvaceous body and a tight dress, complete with a teenage attitude and flirtatious poses. These Valentines were totally enticing for Hope with their sparkly lips, glitter tattoos, and hip Valentine messages – so what’s a Mom to do? Buy them for her, of course!

While Roger carefully wrote the name of each classmate on individual cards Hope impatiently corrected his pronunciation of each friend’s name – you see, nearly half of Hope’s class has Indian names and the other half have names you simply cannot phonetically pronounce. For the next two hours Hope signed her name and meticulously placed a pink heart sticker on each card – with breaks every other card to indulge in a mini box of nerds with Brother Riley. Those nerds were supposed to be included in each Valentine! Candy is another one of those irresistible delectables when you are a child.

I confirmed the babysitter for Saturday night. Roger was tasked with selecting the restaurant where we could have our romantic Valentine dinner. He apparently needed a beer to spark his creativity and now as he sleeps on the couch I will just assume he is dreaming about the choice and will have a suggestion in the morning.

With the Valentine cards finally complete and safely tucked away in a bag by the door (so we don’t forget them – although I will still probably walk out without them tomorrow) Riley and I hopped in the car and made the trek to the store to acquire a Valentine present for his girlfriend. I suggested the mall. You know, a “nice” piece of jewelry – a necklace or bracelet – for his girlfriend. Roger suggested Walgreens…. Hmmm… I am very concerned about his suggestion. How tacky!!!

But despite my classy influence Riley opted for Walgreens. As it turns out I am completely out of touch with teenagers – I’m OLD. As we entered Walgreen’s I was momentarily confused… had we just entered a store or had I walked into a middle school party?? Riley knew nearly everyone there! Apparently, Walgreens is the place to go when you’re on the hunt for a cheap teddy bear on a 14 year old budget. But Riley not only picked up a cute little Teddy Bear and a candy bar for his girlfriend he also selected a princess tin and bag of Hershey kisses for his little sis. He wins BIG brownie points for that one! To show my appreciation I sprang for the 2$ gift bag glittered with Valentine hearts to hold the gift for Molly. If I can’t get Riley to buy his girlfriend jewelry I can at least show him the need to make the gift more presentable. He sweetly thanked me three times!

And then, on our way home, just to top off the evening and really set the Valentine mood Riley and I sang a duet to “It’s a Love Story”. “Romeo save me… I’ve been feeling so alone…” Aaahhh, those memories I LOVE.

I’m such a COOL mom! And tonight, even Riley thinks so!

No comments:

Post a Comment