I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Accomodating Teenagers

Funny thing, that mind of mine… I was folding laundry and as usual my mind was going 100 miles an hour. I was folding towels – old dingy white towels that we have had for almost 9 years. These are old towels that I have replaced with big, fluffy, sea green towels that match my bathroom perfectly. These old fraying towels no longer reside in my bathroom… So why do I still have these shabby white bath towels you ask? Well, I was pondering that same question myself as I went through the monotonous routine of folding old bath towels.

I still have these towels because Riley loves these old towels. He has forbid me to get rid of them. He hates my luxurious, fluffy, sea green towels that have long replaced the old ones. “They aren’t as absorbent”… not that he used that those words but that was the jist of his reaction to my new towels. So I keep the old towels – in a special basket outside of the bathroom – just for Riley.

My day dreaming mind took me back to when I was a teenager, and to my parent’s utter bewilderment, I never remembered to hang up my bath towel – despite the continuous lectures, bribes, threats, etc. So one day I came home to find a towel rack had been hung directly outside of my bedroom. All this, so that I would remember to hang up my bathroom towel.

With my laundry all folded it was time to move on to other thoughts so in the end I concluded… I have a pile of special towels in my hallway for Riley – just as my parents had a special towel rack for me, in their hallway. Is this pile of towels in my hallway payback for the towel rack my parents had to endure in their hallway when I was a teenager? Oh, the things we do to accommodate teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment