I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hot Girls

Two weeks ago…

Hope: “Today, we played Hot Girls at recess!”

I tilt my head to the side, crinkle my forehead and raise my eyebrows as I look at Roger in hopes that he can explain away my concern over Hope playing Hot Girls at school.

Roger laughs (hysterically)!

I am laughing now too but I am still a bit concerned.

I have to find out more about Hot Girls…

Me: “Wow! That sounds like fun Hope. What do you do when you play Hot Girls?”

Hope: “You know Mom – We just play Hot Girls. You can play sometime if you want – I guess you could be a Hot Girl”

I am not only relieved by this answer I am thrilled because Hope thinks I could be a Hot Girl. I’m not so concerned anymore. This Hot Girl play must be pretty innocent if Hope thinks her mom is cool enough to be a Hot Girl.

My thrill over being invited into the Hot Girls club only intensifies over a couple of weeks.

When I put Hope to bed one night she whispered in my ear how she wished I could play Hot Girls with her at recess. She tells me I would be the best Hot Girl ever.

One day on our way home from school Hope tells me that she forbid her friends to be the Hot Girl when they were playing at recess. She told all her friends that only her Mom (yes, ME!) could be a Hot Girl.

Hope dreamed that I was the best Hot Girl ever.

I love being considered a Hot Girl (even if it’s only your 4 ½ year old that thinks you’re a Hot Girl).

I got so caught up in being a Hot Girl that I’m afraid to say I lost sight of reality.

Until today…

Reality came crashing down on me today and burst my Hot Girl bubble.

This was the end of my Hot Girl fantasy:

Hope danced around the kitchen celebrating the simple fact that her netflix movie came in the mail today (netflix days are always sure to bring out the brightest spirits and best behavior in our house).

Hope: “Mom, we can watch our Hot Girl movie together and you can be the Hot Girl and I will be the one with the stars and stripes”

Intrigued, I read the movie envelope…

“…In War World, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Hawk Girl infiltrate Mongul’s lair to save an ailing Superman…”

Enough said… I’m not the Hot Girl in my daughter’s eyes quite like I had imagined it. There’s a big difference between Hot Girls and Hawk Girls – even if Hawk Girls are Super Heroes.

I don’t want to be a Hawk Girl. I want to be a Hot Girl!

Now my reality goes something like this:

Really, how old am I? This was childish behavior for sure – shouldn’t I have been teaching Hope all about how beauty comes from within? Shouldn’t I have been even slightly concerned where she learned about Hot Girls?

Oh, but to be invited into the Hot Girls club by a confident, outspoken, secure, poised, go-getter, who no doubt runs the playground at school, can cloud reality for even the most grounded parents, right?

I’d rather forget this netflix night and continue on through life thinking I was the ultimate Hot Girl.

1 comment:

  1. dude, you are still a hot girl. forget about the dumb movie. stick to your original fantasy. feed the ego!

    ReplyDelete