I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Auntie Sarah is RICH!!!!!!!!!!

From the day Hope was born Mom & Dad kept telling us how much Hope reminded them of Sarah. The older she gets the more like Sarah she becomes. I accept her personality with a little bit of fear (I mean after all, Sarah is very opinionated…and I see a bit too much of that in Hope) but mostly I am happy to know I have a daughter that is confident, bright, witty and very giving --just like Sarah).

Their similarities were blatantly obvious the day Hope crossed her eyes and Sarah high fived her and crossed her own eyes while announcing that Hope was a girl after her own heart! I absolutely hate it when Hope crosses her eyes – it freaks me out! What if they got stuck like that? Only Sarah would think something like that rocks. Two peas in a pod!! I now know where Hope gets her spunk…

So it came as no surprise when Sarah offered to take Hope for an afternoon of shopping and a play date with Ruby while I was lost in a far away land witnessing the miraculous birth of Sophie Elizabeth (have I told you how thankful I am to have such wonderful friends who are delighted to share their most cherished memories with me??).

Sarah always steps up to volunteer when I need her the most – she even volunteers well before I ask! So this one Saturday Sarah graciously make the trek to our house at 7:30 a.m. to take Riley to his basketball game (ok, there was some minor grumbling which is very well justified considering the obnoxiously early hour of the day). After two middle school basketball games and an early morning trip to Taco Bell (who can eat Taco Bell at 10:00 a.m.?) she offered to take Hope for the afternoon to free up Roger for an afternoon with only little Nico - which, some of you might think would be relaxing to have Hope gone but that little boy can match his sister’s spunk any given day! But I digress…

Sarah took Hope shopping and promised to buy her nearly anything she wanted. Hope, of course, picked out a tiara, red sparkling bracelets and a marble. Then it was off to an afternoon with Ruby and Trey. Poor Sarah was exhausted when I arrived that evening but she put on her party hat, poured me a glass of wine and sat back to listen to my tale of Sophie’s birth… for two hours she listened and marveled at good friends and fantastic memories with me.

But back to Hope… Upon my arrival back home that night Hope proclaimed that Auntie Sarah was rich! Auntie Sarah spent 6 whole dollars on her. She followed up her proclamation with “you can’t spend that kind of money on me because you don’t have enough money…” I proudly reaffirmed Hope’s thought process on my lack of funds in hopes of never having another meltdown in a store when I refused to buy her yet another party dress! I know… I’m fooling myself. Hope’s newfound knowledge into my finances (or lack thereof) will not derail her desire to own every single pretty dress in the US.

Regardless, Hope continues to think that Auntie Sarah is loaded. Every day when she puts on her bracelets she tells us (and anyone else who will listen) that her Auntie Sarah who is rich bought them for her. And I continue to remind Hope that I don’t have 6 dollars to spend like that so she’s very lucky to have a very rich Auntie.

Truth be told… I think Auntie Sarah is rich too. She is richly blessed with the desire to be the best Auntie possible and she always so willingly volunteers help me out in a pinch and take our audacious Hope for a fun filled afternoon – creating a memory that I trust Hope will remember for a long time to come. And I wish for Hope to learn the valuable lesson of giving from her Auntie Sarah so they can continue to be two peas in a pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment