I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Riley's Big Sister

I’d like to introduce you to Riley’s Big Sister...

Yes, that’s ME! (Confused? Do read on for a bit of clarity and so you can share in my elation...)

Not only was today Roger’s birthday it was also the day that Riley has long anticipated. Today was the end of his two year stint with braces.

While both of those events are exciting I found them overshadowed by my own chance encounter today.

As we prepared to leave the orthodontist office for good, after many, many trips across town for checkups, loose brackets, more rubber bands, etc., the entire orthodontist team all came out to congratulate Riley on his successful completion of orthodontia. After hugs and well wishes they had one final question.

“So…” the receptionist slyly muttered. “We just have to know… to ease our minds around here and put our questioning bets to rest… are you Riley’s sister?”

You can only imagine my delight as I proudly announced that I actually gave birth to this boy 14 ½ years ago.

They were confused. All bets were off. A late team member arrived at the end of this conversation (while I laughed and the rest of the team gawked) and asked, “So, what’s the verdict”.

They didn’t believe me proclaiming that I must have had him when I was 12. “I simply did not look even close to old enough to possibly be this teenager’s mother”.

I think I will miss that orthodontist office after all!

As thrilled as I was to hear those sentiments today Roger was just as equally disturbed. Does that mean he looks old enough to have a daughter my age???

But back to the real event of the day…

Can you believe this adorable boy with crooked teeth...

(He appears to be perturbed at the prospect of getting braces)turned into this young man with straight, sparkling pearly whites?

(And delighted to finally be rid of them!)

He’s so lucky to have such a great big sister (if I must say so myself!).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the morning laugh!!! That story is awesome all the way around. Riley looks so grown up I just can't believe it. When is he coming to see me to learn how to drive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg that child is a man now! see i told you, you are a hot girl!

    ReplyDelete