I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Past and the Future Come Together in the Present

I awake to the sweet smell of a baby tightly embracing me in a bear hug and an excited 5 year old anticipating what this day’s activities will entail; I arouse a sleepy teenager who wants nothing more than a few more hours of sleep.

Diaper changes, temper tantrums, new discoveries, emerging vocabulary, and lots of cuddles from my lover boy…

Singing, dancing, pony tails, braids, and barrettes, colorful masterpieces filled with letters and love notes from my girly girl who so desperately wants to read…

Shuttles to and from practices, a schedule full of games, late nights completing homework, orthodontist and dermatologist appointments, a lively house full of friends, a mother/son relationship redefined to as Riley enters high school…

These events define my days.

Each child’s character is unique and their needs all distinct; a full spectrum of emotions, phases, freedoms and nurturing - determined by their respective ages, genders and personalities.

I am incredibly blessed to encounter this diverse spectrum of events each day.

I am privileged to see the past and the future come together in the present.

I am reminded each day that Nico will grow out of his temper tantrums and will all too soon be passing up the cuddles and loves for other entertainment as Riley and I discuss the girls in his life or marvel at the latest XBOX creation together.

I am presently watching my oldest son grow into a young man yet I am constantly reminiscing about my firstborn as a babe as I watch my youngest babe toddle through life.

Hope’s confidence and attitude will serve her well in life but have me terrified of what her teenage years may bring – but I am comforted because Riley is patient with his novice mother as I discover what it’s like to be on the other side of the parent/teenager relationship - so I hope to hone my teenage parenting skills and glean practical tactics that will be applicable with my girl who is in a league all her own.

I convene in the full circle of parenting head on each day... from babies to children and even teenagers. And with each child, each day, I am brought back to their younger years where innocence prevailed and their arrival was surreal; and as I look ahead to what their future may hold and wonder what their dreams may entail, I am continually reminded of the circle of life and prompted to enjoy the present - for all too soon I will find my self with an empty nest.

1 comment: