I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An Elusive Horizon

My much anticipated wait for a drastic reduction in daycare expenses appeared to be looming on the horizon. That ominous horizon was just beginning to shine its light and I could feel myself approaching those glorious rays of sunshine. I was making plans to reinvest in savings and start those obligatory home improvement projects… and I was thrilled to know I would not be riddled with ridiculous monthly payments that make my mortgage look a mere trip to Starbucks. I planned my life and my budget around approaching this glorious horizon as Nico approached the 2 year mark and Hope made her kindergarten debut.

But today I discovered that my budget will continue to suffer and be completely dominated by daycare expenses for at least another year to come. My imminent horizon where I was seeing colorful rainbows and pots of gold suddenly turned into a long windy road filled with ghouls, goblins and evil budget phantoms.

Part time care turns out to be no less expensive than full time care. My frustration with this inequality compels me to have Hope put off kindergarten for a year. If I’m paying for it I might as well use it.

And in order for Nico to maintain consistency with his teachers and classmates he must remain in toddler care for another year. Is he too young to stay home alone?

Perhaps Riley can drop out of school and babysit for a small fee. He’d be the best paid teenager out there so it’s best I not even mention this option or we might just both opt for this plan.

In the end I keep coming back to my reality where excellent and consistent care are of my upmost priorities as a working mother so I will bite the bullet (albeit a bit disgruntled) and offer up one more year of budget sacrifices in order to ensure my children’s well-being and maintain my sanity as I go to work each day.

So now I am praying for peace and wishing for a winning lottery ticket – determined to make the trek up to that glorious horizon eventually despite this unanticipated detour.

I am also taking donations… :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh that sucks! But sorry the winning ticket is MINE.

    ReplyDelete