I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Downpour Before the Sun

In all honesty the events leading up to Hope’s recital found me feeling dreadfully frazzled.

I worked from home on Friday in hopes of completing my work in a timely manner and, minus the commute, I could promptly turn my attention to preparing Hope for her recital. My vision of a smooth transition from work to childcare went south quite quickly. Seriously, who can truly work from home when children are present? It’s Murphy’s Law… as soon as I’d get immersed in a spreadsheet or on a conference call my kids start violently fighting or decimating something valuable. I got very little work done but it eventually came time for me to switch gears and focus on recital preparations. Hope’s superstar attitude kicked into full gear (seriously, this is just preschool dance – no need to treat me like your personal assistance who does it all wrong) and we battled it out until we both ended up in tears. I spent a fair portion of the afternoon dabbing her eyes with a cold wet cloth to erase the tear stained redness. When we were finally all loaded into the car we spent 2 hours in the pouring rain and horrible traffic making our way (albeit slowly) to Auntie Sarah’s to drop off Nico. I sent multiple text messages complaining to Sarah so someone else could wallow in my pity right along side me. I was panicking that we’d be late for Hope’s performance. With Sarah’s house right around the corner I slightly relaxed… until Roger passed Hawthorne and then the visions of running him over came flooding into my mind.

But Sarah always comes through for me. She always saves the day… she is my super hero! She met us at the car where I nearly threw Nico at her while the car was still moving. In turn, she handed me a mason jar filled to the brim with her signature peartini, complete with an umbrella secured at the top with a rubber band. Seriously, where does this girl come from? I was dropping off my toddler who defines the terrible twos – she’s the one who really needs the peartini!. Yes, she is my own personal super hero!

Needless to say, the rest of the evening went off without a hitch. (You should really try one of her peartinis!)

Sarah took Nico to play with Trey and had a blast watching them slosh through the rain as they got soaked – without a care in the world. They danced, they sang and just had one heck of a good time. She allowed them to be kids – unaffected by a little bit of rain, resolving their own conflicts using fists and words, encouraging song and dance to make the moments memorable all while probably relishing in the fact that she can give him back to me after a few blissful hours (just when he’s good and tired and crabby). But after drying off with a blow dryer (it’s great entertainment for kids… try it!) Nico promptly fell asleep with a bottle in her guest room – exhausted from his play date.

My big sister never ceases to amaze me. She’s always volunteering to help when I have to leave town. The moment I admit I’m overwhelmed she’s at my house to help. When I’m frazzled and running late she knows just how to calm my nerves (with a peartini, of course!). She brings banana cream pie and turtle pie over at a moments notice to celebrate Roger’s b’day. What do I offer in return? Well, um, maybe… uh… I did restock her wine cabinet the other night. I think I’ve done her taxes 2 or 3 times. I always give her my old TVs. Ok, it doesn’t compare to the nurturing she gives me. I suppose it’s just in her nature to dote on me as my big sis. Take note though younger siblings: my nurturing skills are all tapped out with multiple Gronkes so don’t expect too much from me as your nurturing big sis. It seems I haven’t been as blessed in the nurturing department… something I definitely need to work on! Yes, you can even hold me to it now that I’ve admitted to it…

Sarah brought me sunshine amidst a torrential downpour (literally and symbolically). And how appropriate... Hope's dance was titled "Here Comes the Sun". One of life's little coincidences...

2 comments:

  1. Ok you so made me cry. Remember that movie when the unhappy sobbing broken-hearted grandaughter knocks on her grandma's front door? Her grandma answers the door, takes one look at her sobbing grandaughter and says 'Oh honey come right in, I'll put on a pot of bourbon.' Well, anyway... I always thought that grandma was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am not prego anymore will you think I am cool again? :) xoxooxxoxox

    ReplyDelete