I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Monday, January 19, 2009

It's Spring...

Hope woke up the other day running into our room eagerly announcing that it was Spring. “Mommy, It’s Spring! I looked out my window and the sun is shining. I think the apples are going to grow on the trees and the flowers are going to bloom. Mommy, LOOK! It’s Spring.” Only in Oregon could a child be so confused by brilliant rays of sun smack dab in the middle of winter.

With a special day off today Roger suggested we all go enjoy the sunshine and take the kids to the park. I turned up my nose and scowled. “Hmmm, perhaps a trip to the mall is in order??” I suggested. But, everyone voted against the mall just because it was sunny. “Oh, don’t be seduced by the beauty that so rarely shines it’s rays here in Portland – it is frigidly cold out there.” I warned. Again, I got outvoted because it was sunny. So off to the park in the Antarctic temperatures we went… I, bundled up in my wool socks, three layers of clothes, scarf, hat, gloves, and down coat. Hope went in her shirt and pants and didn’t even want to wear her sweatshirt. Of course, we all had sunglasses to shield our eyes from the bright light in the sky that makes Oregon children think it’s Spring.

Riley opted to take a nap – lucky boy!

I wish I could traverse the monkey bars like this but I’m afraid I’d pull my arms out of the sockets.

The kids had a blast. We took 5 million pictures. I froze. And when I could no longer feel my toes we went for hot cocoa with whipped cream, steaming coffee, and a halibut fish sandwhich, which made braving the elements all worth the while.

No comments:

Post a Comment