I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Windy City

I have been delinquent when it comes to posting on my blog! I have many blog sessions pent up in my head from my travels and subsequent reunion with family – I now just have to find the time to write them all down. I am only now digging my way out of the many chores that awaited me upon my return home but have no fear… I am back!

I spent most of last week in the Windy City staying right in the middle of the Magnificent Mile. The Windy City may have demanded my presence last week but my heart stayed back with my family.

Once again, I packed my bags and began the chaotic preparations that allowed me to leave my family behind for a few short days. I think this is becoming a bit too routine for us all… 6 trips, 5 cities, all in 4 short months.

But it seems I left more than my heart behind on this trip… I left my wits behind as well. I suffered from a bout of self inflicted anxiety on the airplane to Chicago (which left me permanently scarred – both physically and emotionally).

Settled into my middle seat in economy (how did I get such bad luck today?) I began counting the hours until my arrival in Chicago. How in the world will I fill up all this time when my anxiety level is resulting in menopausal hot flashes? I have white knuckles from gripping the arm rests so tightly in a useless effort to still the plane that feels like it is tossing around like a little boat on the swells of a stormy sea -- and I’m conjuring up worst case scenario thoughts regarding airplane crashes because I am not on the sea… I am 30,000 miles above it.

Finally, the stewardess arrives with the drink cart and I order the only thing that will get me through this 4 hour flight that is sending my heart all the way down into my stomach with each bump.

As if the bumpy flight wasn’t enough, things only got worse. My $6 bottle of King Fish Shiraz would not open. I twisted and turned. And squeezed. I broke two fingernails and gouged a third. The screw top was stripped. My anti-anxiety medication was trapped within the confines of this cheap plastic bottle with an inadequate screw top. A screw top that has screwed me over.

I used my teeth. I got out my pen to break the safety seal. I pressed my thumb up against the seal – which simply penetrated the soft skin on my fingertip causing blood to ooze. I’m on an airplane – middle seat! No first class today… and I am bleeding profusely. The passengers on each side of me began to get restless. It’s always those small wounds that bleed to horribly. No napkin leaves with only choice. I must suck on my thumb and endure the metallic taste of my blood without throwing up.

I began sweating.

My ears turned bright red and started burning.

My cheeks were seriously flushed. And my wine was still not open.

A glance to my right threw me into another panic as I realized the entire row was laughing at me. I laughed with them to hide my panic. I’m bleeding. I’m panicking. My wine will not open. I paid $6 for this simple luxury. I should have stuck with the snack box but there’s little therapy relief in that.

And finally, the girl across the aisle offers her assistance and the safety seal breaks free. I am so relieved. I want to hug her. But I’m not offering to share my wine with her! I will finally be able to endure this 4 hour flight in economy class after all.

In the end this torture doesn’t even compare to my flight home from Denver, with two small children and a bad case of food poisoning, back in September of 2007 – but that memory is post all in it’s own… one that is so unbelievable that it shall definitely be documented, all in good time.

The event on this outbound flight to Chicago was thankfully no indication of how the trip would go. I worked incredibly hard. I gave a great presentation to nearly 50 sales reps (without passing out mind you - just some mild diarrhea beforehand...) and ended up with a wonderful travel partner who gave me so much support through our long days and picked some charming restaurants for dinner (I chose the wine to accompany each delectable meal) where we recounted each presentation, prepped for the following day, had some great laughs while we got to know each other and made some fabulous memories. I learned so much and met some great people.

But it’s good to be home!

Even if it did take me two days of non-stop candle burning to remove the bachelor smell and another three days to clean and organize the house back to my liking.

1 comment:

  1. I remember how hard you squeezed Nico on the flight. I wish I was there to hold your hand. NOT! Girl, next time, even at 6$ a bottle, buy two!

    ReplyDelete