I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nine Years

Nine Years ago on Friday I embarked on a journey that I certainly didn’t anticipate would sustain me financially, emotionally, academically, and professionally for 9 years. Nine Years ago I started my career at Nike.

There are so many things I love about my job (and probably just as many things that I dislike) but I have to say that I am very, very blessed to have a career that I genuinely enjoy. I love my morning and evening walks to and from daycare. The grounds are kept impeccably groomed. I love the smell the rosemary bushes, the freshly cut grass and the newly tossed soil. I love the early sightings of the baby ducks in the spring and the occasional appearance of the blue heron wading through the water. I even get a kick out of the nutria that wonder across the trails despite their rodent appearances.

I love how close by my two youngest children are. I love how I was able to visit Hope religiously, two times a day until she was nearly three years old. I love how I was able to make the short trek 3-4 times a day to cuddle and feed baby Nico until he was a year old. I love how I can stop in unannounced at daycare when I’m feeling lonely or just simply missing my babies. I love that I occasionally run into my children playing outside – either strolling through the luxurious landscape or tottering around the playground. Those mid-day surprise reunions are always such a treat that make the day so much more enjoyable.

I realize that this is not typical and I appreciate that this is all fairly unique. I can grasp that these are huge benefits and I know that I am incredibly blessed to really feel like I have the best of all worlds… A career I love where I work surrounded each day by beautiful, lush gardens. Children who spend their days close by – close enough for occasional visits. The flexibility to come and go within a schedule that accommodates my family. Nine years made wonderful by all these perks.

You know what the best part about nine years entails? I now get 6 weeks of vacation a year!!

But I have to admit, the idea of returning to all this wonder is not all that enticing after spending a week on vacation…

No comments:

Post a Comment