I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Homecoming!!!

Oh, what a treat to live vicariously through my teenager. The big day arrived… I was full of nerves, eager anticipation, and on a desperate final attempt to bring home just the right pair of shoes (shoes for Riley that is – I am always on the perpetual, never ending search for the perfect shoes for ME but that’s another post).

My first outing for Homecoming shoes left me empty handed because Riley’s desired pair of shoes was a mere $148. And my attempt to find some cheaper knock-offs was obviously unsuccessful. The second trip I found a perfect substitute but a teenage mind was deeply unsatisfied with my selection (most likely because I picked them out). So my third and final attempt became a desperate excursion to simply find a cheap pair of shoes, in black, with laces, in size 10 that a picky teenager would wear despite his vocal dislike.

The third trip was a success! No, Riley did not like the shoes but he had no choice at this point but to wear them… I consider that a success.

The clothes were much simpler to secure. A quick trip through Macy’s and Riley picked the first black shirt and pants he saw. I had to bribe him to at least try them on before purchasing.

Boys are so nonchalant about prepping for these grandiose events (unless it comes to shoes apparently).

At precisely 4:24 I interrupted a guitar hero solo and asked the boys when they wanted to leave. “4:20”, they replied. Obviously they weren’t in a big hurry. They took their time getting dressed – playing XBOX between each article of clothing they donned.

I insisted Riley whiten his teeth earlier in the day and with the boys finally dressed (I was happily snapping away with the camera annoying the heck out of them!) we tied Jake’s tie, encouraged them to refresh their deodorant, sprayed them with cologne, handed the boys a pack of gum (in lieu of demanding they brush their teeth) and piled them in the car.

The plan was to meet up at Marie’s house where about 5 or 6 girls would meet up with a group of boys and they would make their way to PF Changs for dinner and head off to the dance.

I got such a kick out of their paltry efforts to prepare for the dance. It took them no more than 4 and ½ minutes to get ready for the dance. In my scurry to find shoes I encountered hundreds of teenage girls at the mall with their hair all done up sitting anxiously at the make-up counters in the department stores finalizing their day long journey to prepare for the big dance. The boy’s preparations seemed almost inadequate in comparison.

The weren’t nervous at all. I think… no… I know, I was definitely more nervous and certainly more excited than the boys.

We couldn’t find Marie’s house so I dropped the boys off at Nico’s who offered to take them along. At Nico’s we encountered more Moms with cameras but I was already past my quota so I bid them good bye, wished them luck, reminded them to chew a piece of gum after dinner and left feeling all giddy just thinking about the memories they were about to construct on this adventure.

Riley looked like a GQ model. I can’t wait until the next dance!

Here is a sneak peak of Homecoming night. Check back soon for a link to Shutterfly where I will post more on the preparations.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Shit Riley does look like a GQ model. He is so grown up! Did he get a kiss that night? I can't wait to tease him.

    ReplyDelete