I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Friday, August 14, 2009

Beloved Blog Editor

Way back when (ok, only 9 short months ago) Barb introduced me to the blogging world. I had heard of blogs but really had no idea what they were all about – although I was (and still am) an avid “googler” (researching all my burning questions, interests, curiosities, etc. on the internet) I never once stumbled across a blog. But Barb sent me a few links, she peaked my interest and I was immediately hooked. I fell in love with the idea of an online journal – documenting my life, my thoughts and keeping family updated on the rapidly growing Gronke children (not that they’re growing in number but growing in size).

I wrote hundreds of blog posts in my head for about a month before I got up the gusto to start a blog of my own. My first post came easy, the thoughts flew off my fingertips, and my reality became words splattered across the page precisely as I envisioned them. I discovered I actually enjoyed writing. Most nights I can easily convert my thoughts into words on paper, documenting the simple memorable moments or conveying my thoughts, my desires, my prayers, my love for my family – all that I want to remember. I find my blog therapeutic and I dwell in comfort and peace as I document my life.

And I am content knowing my blog rarely contains errors because you see, I have my own personal blog editor. With a vast audience of 4 or 5 people I want to make sure I convey my thoughts concisely and the events truthfully, all while making sure my grammar is precise.

Most of you laugh at my mishaps and find humor in my chaotic life. I’m sure some of you have shed a few tears when you find me getting all sappy. And my mother, although in retirement, will be an English teacher until the day she dies –she never misses a grammatical mistake and methodically lists out each error on my blog for me to correct.

Writing is something neither I nor my mother probably ever thought would worm its way into my heart - considering she had to rewrite many high school and college papers just to get me a passing grade. But she is delighted to find me falling in love with her calling, her passion. She spent many countless hours teaching others the exquisiteness in a well written piece of literature – but the splendor of her passion appeared to evade her closest of kin (particularly me!). Mom laughs and cries with the rest of you but her eye is inevitably trained to catch all my grammatical mistakes. Her comments are always heartfelt… she laughs at my crazy antidotes, she cries when I tug at her heartstrings, she marvels at my novice attempt to document my life and she always concludes her responses with a meticulous list of misspellings and grammatical mistakes. And I’m certain she is horrified with my over (and improper) use of commas and infatuation with ellipses. But I’m finally ready to learn – I have the thoughts, the feelings and a wonderful life worth documenting. Only now is my heart open to the delicate intricacies of my mother’s life work.

So should you uncover one of my random misspellings or grammatical mistakes just know that the expert will eventually catch them and they will (hopefully) all be corrected over time.

Thank goodness for my Mother’s expert eye. My blog thanks you and my vast audience thanks you. Now if you could just learn a bit of web design to spruce up my blog…

So here’s to my highly underpaid but much appreciated beloved blog editor!


No comments:

Post a Comment