I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hot Shot

Seeing as Hope spends most of her waking hours standing on her head, balancing effortlessly, performing unbelievable stunts (like the splits) in mid air and ultimately pushing herself up into a handstand it should come as no surprise that she has officially been invited to join the Hot Shots… an accelerate class for the youngest gymnasts who have displayed mind boggling skills and astounding progress in just a few short weeks.

Gaining entry into the Hot Shot club has only fueled Hope’s determination and has her bursting with pride.

But I understand her swollen ego. Under the false allusion that I had been deemed a Hot Girl I found myself exuding an inflated self esteem and feeling jubilant to have been deemed one of the elite.

Of course, my fantasy was brusquely episodic and I became a thirty something average Mom again reeling in my ignorance and despising my ordinary character.

But Hope has earned her Hot Shot title and although we question their choice in this selected label we are proud of our Baby Girl beyond what words can convey and we will allow her proudly taunt her title and demand a new level of respect for the time being.

How much harm can be done with this little confidence booster? (That’s a rhetorical question – please do not attempt to answer this for me…)

The time will inevitably arrive when Hope is humbled and we may regret our decision to allow her to become engrossed in her accomplishments but right now we are fascinated with her persistence, we are motivated by her determination and we found it bewildering (albeit hysterical) when, after being told by an 8 year old boy that she was so good at hip hop – the best he’s ever seen, she nonchalantly replied (while skipping out to the car), “I know!”

I may never be a Hot Girl but I can live vicariously through my Hot Shot.

1 comment: