I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Where is Summer? (Because Homework Sucks!)

I, for one, cannot wait for summer – it simply cannot get here fast enough... while all of you reading this probably just thought to yourselves: yes, I can’t wait for the sun, the heat, sandals and tank tops, dinners out on the patio, kids splashing in the back pool, camping on weekends, and so on… I was actually longing for summer break… a summer break from homework!

The brief glimpses of sunshine the peak through the clouds on and off these days signal a much anticipated break from the grueling 8th grade homework routine. I have spring fever! (and this is certainly not brought on by the warmth of spring sunshine because there isn’t any of that in Oregon yet).

I recently learned (possibly relearned) all about natural selection (well, ok – I attempted to understand natural selection but honestly, it was a bit over my head. Science never was my strong suit). I searched the internet, reading for hours. I helped Riley piece together an inquiry lab (complete with a hypothesis, investigation, analysis and conclusion) all the while still not really understanding natural selection. I’m sure I learned about natural selection in middle school and then promptly destroyed those brain cells in high school and haven’t heard the term natural selection since then.

I’m tired of being an assistant producer developing creations that are continually critiqued. I am tired of helping create alliteration worthy of publishing on my blog (which I shall publish here) only to have the teacher comment that she doesn’t understand it. (I don’t take rejection well – I handled this about as well as I did when I found I wasn’t a Hot Girl!) So here it goes… one poem on alliteration (this was my mastermind) and one with rhythm (the sole work of Riley) - you be the judge! I may be a bit biased but I adore his poetry and despite his grade will keep it close by me… forever!

Bouncing Basketballs
Bouncing basketballs bring buddies
Together for a brilliant battle of the best.
To bank a brazen basket
Beyond the big blockade
Begins the battle of the buds
To bequest the best to bliss.
A bolt, a blitz and a basket
Brings the best a bonus boast
And a bummer for the buds
Who broke down in the brutal brawl.

So You’ve Never…
So you’ve never played basketball.
Well, let me teach you how.
I’ll teach you how to dribble
With your hands of right and left.
Next I’ll teach you how to shoot –
How to use one hand to set.
And use a 45 degree angle
To help you make all your shots.
You’re set to learn even more now,
So perhaps some awesome tricks.

I am not grumbling about what they teach 8th graders these days. It’s all pertinent information that gives our kids a core foundation and allows them to choose their interests and ultimately their career paths in life. And Riley has some incredibly talented teachers that take a genuine interest in his personal education – taking the time to understand what makes Riley tick – focusing on his strengths, developing his weaknesses, and thoroughly enjoying Riley’s sweet personality. It’s just a bit overwhelming relearning everything again – 20 years later! I didn’t like science the first time around and I certainly don’t like it any better the second time around. Parents have to be the smartest people in the world because they go through school twice (or three of four times if they have kids that are 10 years apart!)

But I persist, because it’s important for Riley to have a broad knowledge base as he enters the real world. And who knows… maybe he’ll grow up to be a surgeon or a scientist that finds a cure for a rare cancer – and those both sound like careers where you might just need to know a little bit about natural selection. And as it turns out I have discovered that I am a bit fond of alliteration so Riley will at least be aware of the proper term as I continually find ways to weave this journalism art into my blog (Midnight Marvel, Nighttime Notes, etc.)

And I’m not about to let Riley get a case of Spring fever, so for six more weeks I will chug along writing poetry, focusing on alliteration, typing papers at midnight, learning about US History (boring!), going cross-eyes looking at algebra, and struggling to comprehend the wonders of science... right alongside Riley.

Then, and only then, we will finally bask in the sun’s rays, wearing sandals and tank tops, eating dinners on the deck, watching the kids swim in the pool, camping on the weekends – all without a single thought about what homework challenges 9th grade will bring us.

1 comment:

  1. Oh girlfriend, you are getting the education you always should have. None of us were sober or in class growing up so it's time for you to re-learn! ahahahahahah

    ReplyDelete