I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Monday, July 13, 2009

Turning 2

My youngest babe turned 2 today… it’s bittersweet…


Three years ago I watched my little princess turn two – all grown up into a toddler, leaving her baby years just to memories etched in our minds forever.

I was yearning for that newborn baby again… the anxiously awaited moment when a baby finally arrives, waiting 9 months to find out if we had been gifted with a princess or a prince, the newborn baby smell, the miniature hands and delicate lips, the constant cuddling as they spent their days close to my skin in a sling, the comfort of nursing a newborn baby to sleep, sleeping side by side wrapped up safely in my arms each night…

I missed all this and I desperately wanted to bring another baby into our lives. Riley was vying for a baby brother; Hope wanted to be the only baby but conceded if we would have a girl. With all the votes in we began to try for our third baby. Not being burdened blessed with twins we soon began the journey endlessly debating on boy vs. girl(realizing that only one of our children would get their wish but knowing that the other would concede once they met their newest sibling). Nine months later our littlest babe – our second son arrived – two years ago today on Friday the 13th. Two weeks early he made up for the tardiness of his older brother and sister.

A superstitious day fooled my body into labor – the third time’s a charm! And certainly charming is our big boy, Nicholas James. Blue eyes and fair skin (what else would you expect), dubbed Nico Bear (after Ri-Bear and Sugar Bear), our littlest babe joined the Gronke clan to make our family of 5 complete.

Two young kids and a teenager fill up our days, occupy our hearts, and pilfer all our money. So I watch my littlest baby enter his toddler years with a different outlook. I cherish the memories of each child’s birth, I reminisce about their early years, I marvel at their individual qualities, and I look forward to the delights each new phase will reveal.

I pass along my baby belongings with only the slightest bit of hesitation. I coddle my toddler like a newborn knowing he will likely be my last baby. And I delight in all that I have been blessed with!

All as I watch my youngest babe turn 2 and toddle around on his birthday scooter desperately trying to keep up with his older brother and sister.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, after that post I am convinced this little nicobubster isn't your last.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I totally dig his haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh nico pooh. i think barb is right. you'll have one more.

    ReplyDelete