I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Monday, November 29, 2010

I want to be a Rock Star

Post turkey coma (and groggy after a day filled with family and friends, good wine and a few rock star serenades) I awoke to a sad and confused little boy peering over my bed, staring directly into my eyes, only inches away from the fog that was settling into my mind. On the verge of tears my littlest babe pleaded desperately vying for some sympathy or perhaps just a bit of consolation. In his shaky voice Nico barely managed a very sad little whisper of a whine:

“My room… is a MESS!”

He too seemed to be lingering in the after effects of a Thanksgiving party that ran late into the previous night. I visualized my own pile of unattended dirty dishes downstairs and I gently assured Nico that waking to a messy room was simply a sure sign of a great party the night before. Then I tried to lure him into my arms and under my warm blankets for a few more moments of cuddled slumber before we had to further examine the party’s aftermath.

The comforts of my warm bed couldn’t keep him away from the lingering mess in his room. Nico sauntered off mumbling something about not having enough space for his toys. I couldn’t let him wander off so disoriented and sad… and it was 10:00 a.m. after all – time to go see what the fuss was all about.

"See, I don’t have any more room to put my toys away”, Nico quietly cried as I entered his room and sat with him on the floor.

I moved some things around on his shelf securing a home for the remaining toys and offered up my praise at a job well done. Nico cleaned his room all on his own accord – a first in our world and I really was proud of my little babe.

Still not quite emerged from his own slumber Nico looked me straight in the eye and very seriously stammered, “Sometimes… when Sissy clean her room… (a long pause obviously lost in deep thought)… she is… a WWW… WWW… RRRRock SSStar!”

With a melting heart and tears stinging my eyes I recognized the plot behind the clean room was to attain his very own rock star status. I wrapped my arms around my littlest babe, held him tight to hide the tears streaming down my face and whispered, “You’ll always be my littlest Rock Star.”

1 comment: