I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Saturday, October 16, 2010

This Little Lady...

Has wormed her way into the hearts of a group of 6 year old boys! In the midst of Hope’s hourly nightly story where she recounts every minute detail of her day (she is SO different from Riley) she announced that one of her best boy friends wants to marry her… and her other boy friends gathered her to tell her… and I’ll spare you the remaining scene of events because I lost track of the story when it went on for 30+ minutes. However, the mention of marriage brought my focus back into the long story Hope was conveying and Riley and I chuckled at the thought of 6 year olds betrothing themselves.

Later that evening I received a phone call from a mother of one of these boys. My insecurities kicked in and of course I was sure she was about the “discuss” the marriage proposal. Instead I was pleasantly surprised to hear this Mom had a special request from this group of boys to extend a very late invitation to a birthday party – the boys insisted Hope be part of these festivities.

We arrived at the party unaware that Hope would in fact be the only girl among this tight knit group of boys. This group of boys (and Hope) were in kindergarten together and although they are now split between four different classes their friendship remains strong. They eat together, they play together at recess and they apparently weren’t willing to let Hope miss out on this extracurricular activity.

Hope was in her element… batting her eyes, flattering the boys with balloons, leading a game of chase and delighting even parents who marveled at her lack of consciousness that she was the only girl in the room leading the way in a close group of rambunctious boys.

It’s cute… I’m proud of her confidence… I admire her choice of friends… all when she is 6!!!

Will I think it’s cute when she’s 16??

1 comment:

  1. when she's 16 you will call us sisters to gather over wine so we can 'discuss' what to do! she fatigues me with her neverending energy but at the same time she continually amazes me with her limitless no guts no glory lease on life. I love that child.

    ReplyDelete