I have a lot to marvel at... over a few glasses of wine... in the midst of the midnight hour...

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Twas the Day of Our Easter

Twas the Day of Our Easter
And all through our house
All was relatively quiet
And at the computer was my spouse

Each Gronke was intensely immersed
All within one’s own little world
Until we heard clank and clatter…
In the living room something unfurled

I arose from my post
Exclaimed, “What the hell?”
As something flew past
And up my window did dwell

With Ariel all hissing
And Rocco in a deep growl
I realized quite quickly
That something was afoul

What this creature might be
Not certain just yet
So I wandered into the room
And immediately began to fret

For clinging to my window
Staring me straight in the face
Was a sight so unsettling
I was not about to stay in that place

As I began to retreat
And started to shout
The rest of the Gronke’s came
To see what all the fuss was about

All in a split second
We realized the horror
For a squirrel was now clinging
Just above my pantry door

How absurdly bizarre
And quite seriously uncanny
Was this rodent intruder
Who sent chills up my every nook and cranny

We set off on the chase
My husband and children all abound
While I hid in the bathroom
And the animals whirled all around

With the sweep of a broom
And an open sliding glass door
The squirrel made its exit
Thankfully in our house no more

Riley knocked on the bathroom
Proclaiming my exit was safe
But my nerves were all shaky
Wondering how the squirrel got in, in the first place

I searched each cranny and crevice
Until my eyes opened wide
For the squirrel had popped in
Down our chimney he did slide

What are the chances
On a day such as this
That we get a visit
That so interrupted our bliss

As we prepare to slumber
And reminisce on this day
We will never forget
The day the squirrel came to play

While most children await
For the Easter Bunny to appear
Our children will forever wonder
Will the squirrel show up this year

1 comment:

  1. Grossssss!!! I think you need to close your fluke. Might save on the heating bill too. We just realized ours was open for 2 1/2 years.

    ReplyDelete